Thursday, October 9, 2008

October Snow at our Cabin


Nothing better than Beaver Canyon in the fall. It really is one of the most beautiful and rugged canyons that many people never see. You wouldn't think when driving I-15 that such a place exists.... the scenery gives me diarrhea (I hope I didn't just type that out loud). Fortunately for us, we have inherited many acres and a cabin in the perfect location.

Owen and I took a couple lengthy rides - one of them over three hours - on our 1984 Honda Trail 110 (we also have a 1970 Trail 90 that didn't make the trip due to some last minute health issues).... Owen ended up falling asleep on both trips. He loved rollin with the homey's:


Shelby got to ride our friends 4 wheeler and it didn't take her long before she was poppin wheelies and hockin loogies... she decided on that trip that we are going to be a 4wheeler and motorcycling family (say goodbye to our hippie, tree huggin, pansy hobbies). She loved it!


Owen looked so rad in his hat:

This is Mark and Kelly Magleby and their two daughters Madeline (front) and Josephsmith jr. in the chest pack (we call her J-Z for short). They were so much fun to have down there. We were so excited that they came and hope they will come again with us some time. Mark, with his skills and cunning, grew a very suspicious mustache... which I find extremely romantic:

Both Mark and Jay-Z taking a cat nap on the trail:

Can you see Shelby? This is up Cys Cash a few minutes from our property at one of the many many beautiful bends in the road:

IT SNOWED! Had about 6 to 8 inches up above Big Johns Flat (click on em to see the colors):


This is the summit above Elk Meadows Ski Resort where Mark sacrificed his sandal-clad toes in the name of romance to retrieve red aspen leaves (which are rare, and pictured below) for his sweety:


15 comments:

Jill said...

Oh the fond memories of staying at the Beaver cabin. And by fond I mean horrible. My skin will never be the same.

Professor Plum said...

Jon: "you sure you don't want to wear some sunscreen Jill? We are at 8,000 feet and you could get burned pretty quickly."

Jill: "Heck no! I have so much freakin pigment in my skin... sun screen is for white people!"

Mama Magpie said...

I can't believe you would take prince Owen on that horribly unstable contraption...what kind of parents are you?

Professor Plum said...

We are the kind of parents that let Prince Owen have whatever his miniature little heart desires. If that's speeding recklessly through the mountains on a rickety motorcycle without any protection... so be it!

jarv said...

Nothing better than the cabin in the fall

heather telford photography said...

It looks so pretty up there I remember shelby talking about going there when you guys were dating..(forever ago).. I know Kelly you have to tell her hello for me I use to play soccer with her back in the day, she is so cute!! Owen looks like he is loving all this outdoor stuff what a cutie!!

Breckan said...

utah is such a beautiful place. i miss the colors of fall and cold weather... fall weather. when you guys get sick of all the snowy, cold weather, you should come visit us in thailand.

JPizzle said...

Yeah you guys got some thrills in them hills, but did you pelt any beaver? Owen needs to trap his first here soon... it's in his blood. Also, did the old indian ever find his wife?

Professor Plum said...

WHERES MY WIFE?!! WHERES MY WIFE?!!!!

Bri!!! said...

This is kind of random I know, but I just had to comment on how adorable Owen is. He really is one of the cutest little boys I have ever seen. I found your blog link on my sister in law Chelsea Hoopes blog. I know the both of you from Sundance and from some friends we have in common. Anyway, congrats on the little man. It's the best thing that has ever happened to us too. We have a 3 month old little boy named Caleb and we are SO IN LOVE!

Take care,

Bri.

Beeta said...

Jon- You do realize that story still scares me, right? Those pictures are so beautiful! I'm getting jealous of your winter already. Looks like you guys had tons of fun. Did Shelby dominate with the roman candles again?

PS Shelbs, it may look like we are having fun, but it's all part of the deception we are pulling on ourselves. We will be back. I promise! We miss you guys too much.

millie said...

Man we are so lame. Looks like what some people would call a "bitchin" trip. But not me, I'd say "absolutely fabulous".

Nice post Professor.

Morgan said...

Oh, that looks lovely! That place holds my heart...I would sacrifice my baby toe as well to prance around in the snow up there. I don't need it anyway....and its crooked.

Skyler and Bailey said...

Holy cow these pictures look amazing! I love it up there. I am so jealous.

Smith, Here! said...

cutest fam pictures ever, obsessed with you guys. i want one.